Thursday, October 13, 2011

Work in Progress

My goal with this feature is to basically show you what I am working on from week to week.Well, I have a lot of projects "in progress" right now so will just share a few because I have MANY!

Whirlgig Quilt

I loved the Bliss line by Bonnie and Camille for Moda. I bought three charm packs back in the spring and had a tutorial for a whirlgig quilt that I really wanted to try. I love pinwheels but sometimes getting those perfect points is a pain so I wanted to try this version of a pinwheel which was to be done with Charm packs. I used the tutorial from here . These are just a few of the finished pinwheels on my-too-small design wall in my not-so-glamorous unfinished basement studio...



While I love how they are turning out - I had a few problems (totally my fault) with the tutorial.  I will blame it on pregnancy brain.  Luckily, I had three charm packs because I totally miscut at least 10 of my charm squares.  Before you can split them into your pinwheels you have to cut off a 1/2 inch from one side of the charms.  I forgot to do this a couple of times and I was cutting more than one block at a time - frustrating!! I also did the same for my white background squares and cut quite a few of those wrong too!  Despite my mess ups I was able to get 36 8-inch blocks done this past weekend and now on to deciding on a setting.  I have quite a few charms left so I will come up with a simply sashed square baby quilt to use them up. Too bad I am having a boy, otherwise this would be the baby room theme fabrics!  I also recently bought a jelly roll of the same fabrics that I can't wait to use. 

Speaking of the baby room, look for a update over the next six weeks on nursery transformation from a little girls garden to a little boys zone. Only six weeks til he is here and it is not fit for a boy - yet!  I will feature before pics and the fabrics I have selected to work with.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment